Sometimes my closet overwhelms me.
It’s organized by color, style, and season with shoes in boxes and pictures of each displayed neatly on the outside. I have my accessories accessibly hanging cleanly and my sweaters folded like a department store on the shelves (for my favorite closet organizing tips visit here). And still, I stare at a closet full of clothes and get that feeling that I have nothing to wear.
It can be attributed to the old adage “less is more”. Since having a baby seven weeks ago (hence my long blog hiatus), there is a lot less in my closet I currently wear- and it is rather refreshing. I find that I am much more resourceful and rely on accessories to bring the same few rotating pieces of clothing to life. In fact, it inspired me to take a second look at my closet and be truthful with myself to purge what I really don’t wear. Four giveaway bags later, I could feel the closet anxiety lifting.
So what pieces made the cut? I know you are on the edge of your seat in anticipation.
- Harem Pants– They are as comfy as sweats (really! My postpartum body says so) but can be as sophisticated as work attire. I love these ones by Michael Lauren. The floral print is right on trend and make the rest of the outfit easy- just pair with a white tee. Plus, all his pieces are made in Los Angeles.
- Substantial Basics– I’ve tried doing the cheap basic thing, it doesn’t work. It is important to invest a couple financial steps above Target quality for those plain tees (remember- price per wear, friends!). I recently tried about 10 different tees in search of the perfect one and I found it in this Splendid style. The neckline is almost all I could ask for: just low enough to show a little skin but I won’t get cited for indecent exposure. And the body of the shirt is roomy but doesn’t make it look like there was a baby left in my belly.
- Flash Lens Aviators– These eye-catching (har har) shades will stop anyone in their tracks.
- Cut Off Shorts– A must for summer. These bad boys go with everything- from a bikini top to a sweater for those marine layer days and cool nights. This Joe’s Jeans pair is a versatile wash and is on sale- winning!
- Espadrille Slip-Ons– These instantly make any outfit. Throw on your cute cut offs and beautiful basic tee with these and you have the easiest on-trend summer outfit around. (Throw on a long simple chain necklace and fedora for extra bonus points.)
What are some of your closet staples for this summer?